It feels a little silly getting excited about programming animated gifs, but I am. Here’s a gif I’ve named BOOM that I coded in processing.
Ah yeah, I made my first animated gif with Processing today. Here’s my gif
I made this with Processing and the gifAnimation library in about 10 minutes. Here is how.
- Download and install Processing from processing.org
- Fire up Processing and create a quick sketch ( this step forces you to setup your sketchbook folder )
- Download the gifAnimation library for processing and unzip to a temp folder
- Inside your sketchbook folder ( from step 2 ), create a new folder named libraries
- Copy the folder named gifAnimation from the temp folder in step #3 into your libraries folder inside your main sketchbook folder
- Start a new sketch and import gifAnimation.*;
- Then get coding
You will find full processing samples in the gifAnimation zip file you downloaded in step #3. Also, this page has a great example under the section title EXPORTING A GIF ANIMATION.
I haven’t dug any deeper into the gifAnimation library because it just worked. I hope creating animated gifs from Processing will be as smooth for you as it was for me. If not, please let me know in the comments section. If you have any tips or tricks with the gifAnimation lib or animating gifs via Processing, I’d like to hear those as well.
Now to make animated fire.